Vulcanus in Japan - A training programme for EU / COSME students
Testimonials FROM former participants
|Hoang Duy Nguyen (BE)
trainee at NTT, VJ2013-14
"My year spent in Japan has without a doubt been the most exciting experience of my life so far." Read more
|Katia Boutou (GR)
trainee at Hitachi, VJ2014-15
"The Vulcanus in Japan programme really offers a priceless opportunity to eligible students." Read more
What is it?
Vulcanus in Japan started in 1997. The programme consists of industrial placements for EU / COSME* students. It starts in September and ends in August of the following year in order to accommodate the academic year in EU Member States.
The students follow:
- a one-week seminar on Japan,
- a four-month intensive Japanese language course,
- and then an eight-month traineeship in a Japanese company.
- To study the range of advanced technologies employed by a leading Japanese host company.
- To learn Japanese and to understand and appreciate Japanese culture with a view to an enriching one year experience abroad.
- To be well placed in your future career to interact with Japanese businesses and people.
Who pays what
This programme is financed by the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation and the Japanese host company. The EU / COSME * students are awarded a grant (Yen 1.900.000) to cover the cost of travel to and from Japan and living expenses in Japan. There is no charge for the language course and seminar, and accommodation is provided free of charge during the course and seminar and the company traineeship.
Are you eligible?
You must be:
- citizen of an EU Member-State or a COSME* partening country.
- a student of engineering or science at an EU / COSME*university , enrolled in at least the fourth year of studies, when applying to the Vulcanus programme** /***.
- able to provide a certificate of enrollment at the university valid until at least 3 months prior to the starting of the programme
(*) Non EU ? Please check if your country has joined COSME and the agreement is “in force”. Then you can apply. (See here the status of your country & of the country of your university.)
(**) Computer science, science engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical, electronics, biotechnology, electrical engineering, physics, telecommunication, nuclear engineering, civil engineering, metal materials, ceramics, production system,…
Applicants are selected on the basis of their academic record and the opinion of their tutors, their knowledge of written and spoken English, their motivation, their attitude to EU-Japan relations and their ability to adapt to a different culture.
How to apply
Deadline to apply for session 2017/2018: PASSED
Information on session 2018/2019 will be available online starting from November 2017
Students interested in session 2018/2019 can check (only for reference) the documents of session 2017/2018, in the grey box on top right of this page.
Info on how to apply can be found on top left of the 1st page of the application form
Info on the documents to submit can be found in the list in the 1st page of the application form.
Answers to frequently asked questions can be found in the documents "FAQ" and "More info on compulsory docs", available in the grey box on the right of this page