Vulcanus in Europe - a scheme for EU companies willing to host a Japanese intern
Are you a European company willing to host a Japanese trainee? This programme is for you!
Testimonials from former host companies
Tetsushi Yamada, Schlumberger (France)
Francisco Abril, Tiger Coatings GmbH (Austria)
Through the Vulcanus in Europe programme you can offer a Japanese student an 8-month traineeship within your company (*), providing you with a valuable addition to your workforce and the trainee with the experience of a lifetime. The Vulcanus in Europe programme has the following objectives:
- To provide EU companies with skilled Japanese students as trainees to help them in the development of their business with Japan;
- To familiarise a pool of future Japanese executives with Europe's business culture, its economic structure and its institutions, so that they will be well-placed to help their future employers in their business relations with Europe.
(*) Ideally one trainee per company (a max of 3 trainees is possible, though it should be an exception)
The programme was launched in 1996 on the initiative of the European Commission and the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) with the purpose of contributing to the improvement and stimulation of industrial cooperation and of improving mutual understanding between Japan and the European Union. The EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation is responsible for the actual organisation of the programme.
Who is your trainee?
- Your trainee is chosen from among Japan's best students, either in the third or fourth year of their undergraduate studies or following a postgraduate course in one of the following disciplines: engineering (mechanical, electrical, electronics, civil, nuclear, etc.) / architecture / biology, chemistry, biotechnology, physics / metal materials, ceramics / computer science, telecommunications / production systems....
- The students are selected on the basis of your needs.
- The student's academic record, the opinion of his/her tutors and the student's motivation and ability to adapt are all factors which are taken into consideration in his/her selection. Your company will propose the contents of the traineeship. Should suitable students apply and be selected by the Centre, you will make the final decision as to which of them to accept.
- Before the start of the traineeship the EU-Japan Centre will arrange and fund a 16-week intensive course in the language spoken in your company, giving him/her a working knowledge of the language you have chosen.
- Your trainee will already be generally familiar with European culture, industry and the EU. The EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation will organise and fund a seminar in Brussels for this purpose, immediately after the trainee's arrival in Europe.
All companies in the industrial sector within the EU (*) are eligible to apply for the Vulcanus in Europe programme, whether or not they already have established business contacts with Japan.
A major reason Japanese students take part in Vulcanus is to acquire experience of working within a team and thereby gaining an understanding of European approaches to team-working, decision-making and cross-cultural issues. It is therefore essential that you integrate any student(s) into your team.
How to apply
Please submit by email attachment the application form that you can find in the grey box (to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org). Deadline to apply for session 2017/18: passed. Deadline to apply ofr session 2018/19: to be announced
Length, timing and costs of traineeship
You will receive a Japanese student as a trainee for a period of eight months (from August to March of the following year).
Your company will be responsible for covering the following costs:
All eligible countries (see special cases and exceptions on the right)
Special information & exceptions (based on current national laws)
*Germany: Companies must pay the student directly, the monthly national minimum wage, which exceeds 6,600 €
* France: Companies must to pay the student a direct payment of € 6,600, split into 8 months (August-March)
*Italy: companies are requested to provide accommodation and meals during working hours. The entity of the direct monthly grant to pay to the student can be adjusted accordingly. The exact amount has to be agreed in writing, in the Vulcanus contract.
Laws on issues such as visas and social security contribution within the EU are set at national level. Your company will be liable for any further costs arising from applicable law in the Member State in question. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information or assistance.
The Centre will give a grant to the student of about 11.500€, (about 5.000€ in case of direct payment of the Company to the Student) to cover the travel and the accommodation costs.
Prior to the trainee's arrival in Europe, i.e. four months before the traineeship begins, you will sign a traineeship contract with the trainee and the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation, which lays down the rights and the responsibilities of all parties.